Thursday, February 13, 2020

Seattle's Socialist City Councilmember introduces new 'Amazon Tax' to raise $300M/year for affordable public housing - GeekWire

Panzer made a quick stop at the GeekWire site today. There he found a post about a Seattle (Washington) City Council member who wants to put an employee tax on Amazon.

Amazon HQ could move.
According to Monica Nickelsburg's post, a Seattle, Washington, socialist city Councilmember Kshama Sawant is gathering support for her proposed 'Tax Amazon' campaign. Councilmember Kshama Sawant proposes a 1.7 percent tax on the payrolls of 'big business' companies located in Seattle. Since Amazon is headquartered in Seattle, she calls it the 'Tax Amazon' campaign. Councilmember Sawant estimates her plan would collect $300 Million per year. Of that money, 75 percent would go to build 8,000 homes over ten years.The other 25 percent would go to change 47,000 homes from natural gas to electric heat. Sawant's plan conflicts with a tax plan King County (where Seattle is located), city of Seattle's mayor and Amazon (as well as other big businesses) are working on. There are several links to other posts included in the post.

Panzer says, "Hmm ... She plans to collect $300 million a year ... She plans 8,000 homes over 10 years. ...  How about some apartment buildings instead? ... Go up faster. ... People get homes faster. ... Bet they're cheaper than a bunch of individual homes."

Note: This is a huge post. Bring a quart of tea and six muffins for today's reading selection. If you plan to follow all the links in the post, bring another gallon of tea and another dozen muffins.

To read the post tootle over to Amazon tax

No comments:

Post a Comment